The brand new 12 months is already effectively underway, however we wished to take a fast second to highlight a few of the large strides we made on Neighborhood Pointers, moderation, and advocacy in 2022. Learn on to find out how your suggestions helped us form our most up-to-date coverage updates and initiatives.
These updates are a part of our Creator Coverage Engagement Program (CPEP), which we launched in 2021 to present creators a voice in constructing inclusive and clear insurance policies. Every quarter, we suggest coverage updates and provides creators an opportunity to weigh in by way of coverage livestreams, Discord discussions, particular person workplace hours, and e mail. That suggestions informs which insurance policies get finalized and what they’ll appear like.
New coverage implementation: Violent and Graphic Content material
We at all times intention to create a protected atmosphere for all creators and patrons. That’s why we proposed including a bit to our Neighborhood Pointers on “Violent and Graphic Content material” clarifying the place we draw the road relating to content material that depicts or glorifies real-world violence and struggling. Creators supported this proposal, and we’ve now added new language to our Neighborhood Pointers:
“Patreon won’t permit content material that promotes violence that’s graphic, gratuitous, sadistic, or glorifies real-world struggling. Moreover, content material that depicts violent or graphic imagery, corresponding to animal abuse, decapitation, gore, and violent dying, won’t be permitted.”
We additionally acknowledge that depictions of this content material will be needed in sure non-gratuitous contexts, and creator enter helped us make clear what these exceptions ought to appear like. Our creator neighborhood urged us to emphasise that works containing fictional violent and graphic content material are permissible on the platform. We included that clarification within the language, noting that the creator ought to simply give the viewers an announcement or context to tell viewers that the content material is dramatized.
Key coverage developments in 2022
The “Violent and Graphic Content material” coverage is only one instance of how creator suggestions enriched the insurance policies we developed in 2022. Listed here are a number of extra:
- We clarified the varieties of content material that qualify as hate speech and varieties of harmful organizations that aren’t permitted to earn cash on Patreon.
- We launched a extra creator-first content material moderation method that may scale back situations of single moderation actions leading to full web page suspensions. This may assist creators really feel extra knowledgeable and higher protected on Patreon.
- We supplied extra element for Grownup/18+ creators the method of age verification, which is a requirement from cost processing companions to make sure that these creators are over 18. To afford creators as many sources on the subject as potential, we revealed a variety of Assist Middle articles:
We cherished partaking with you on these insurance policies throughout our quarterly livestreams. For a complete look into final 12 months’s coverage updates, try livestream recordings from Q1, Q2, Q3, and This autumn.
The Creator Advocacy Initiative
Patreon has lengthy been an advocate for creators in governmental, authorized, and regulatory areas. Final 12 months, we expanded CPEP to incorporate what we name the Creator Advocacy Initiative, to share the advocacy work we do on behalf of the creator economic system and inventive small companies. We joined dozens of firms in public coverage advocacy to:
- Help a United States invoice designed to cease main tech firms from “preferencing” their very own merchandise on their on-line marketplaces (as a result of large firms shouldn’t be gatekeepers to the creator economic system).
- Denounce a directive towards well being care entry for transgender kids and their households by Governor Abbott of Texas, United States. (Extra particulars right here.)
- Warning towards proposed United States laws which was supposed to guard customers from unsafe merchandise, however in observe would saddle digital service companies with burdensome compliance necessities that will “restrict artistic expression.”
What else did we stand up to final 12 months? We submitted proof to the Home of Lords Communications and Digital Committee to advocate for the membership mannequin as a transparent driver of development within the creator economic system, and we despatched the British Parliament a letter in regards to the draft On-line Security Invoice, which might influence hundreds of tech firms. Additionally, the Coverage group’s personal Courtney Duffy hosted a South by Southwest panel in Austin, Texas on how leaders within the personal, public, and authorities sectors can construct enduring insurance policies to advertise the creator economic system.
We’re already onerous at work to construct upon final 12 months’s progress. Preserve a watch out for brand new coverage proposals to assist make Patreon the perfect place for creators in 2023. Within the meantime, you possibly can at all times attain the Coverage group by emailing us at CreatorPolicy@Patreon.com. Thanks creators in your continued help and partnership.