TikTok’s algorithm surfaces new accounts. This has led some entrepreneurs to take a “wide-base” or “horizontal” method to short-form video promotion.
With this tactic, a enterprise owns a number of TikTok accounts. Every publishes the identical or related movies. The tactic goals to earn extra whole views than if the corporate had shared these short-form movies solely on a single account.
The wide-base account technique seems most typical with content material creators.
For instance, think about Travis and Jason Kelce’s “New Heights” podcast, probably the most in style U.S. sports-related reveals.
The present’s major TikTok account is @newheightshow, which has 3.9 million followers.
In keeping with a person aware of the podcast, a number of different accounts publish the present’s content material below totally different names, comparable to @newheightsfootball, @newheightsrewind, and @newheightsclips.
Views earlier than Followers
The wide-base technique goals to get extra views and earn extra followers. The method is noteworthy as a result of the first metric is what number of occasions people watch the content material. The follower depend — usually the lead KPI for social media advertising and marketing — is secondary.
A hypothetical instance would possibly assist. Think about you’re the marketer at Payment Brothers, a model that makes cocktail bitters and egg replacers for drinks such because the basic whiskey bitter.
Your content material advertising and marketing efforts embrace a sequence of cocktail recipe movies.
The recipe movies are comparatively lengthy and printed on X and YouTube. And every episode is sliced up into quick clips. With the wide-base technique, the model would launch these clips below a number of distinctive, albeit small, accounts.
TikTok’s algorithm would floor all of the movies to related customers, increasing or widening the influence. Payment Brother’s major account might obtain probably the most views, however the wide-base accounts would contribute, too.
If the purpose is to promote extra cocktail bitters and egg replacers, extra video views may result in extra clients visiting the model’s on-line store. Mission completed.
Secondarily, these short-form clips introduce viewers to the long-form recipe present and the first Payment Brothers account.
Publishing equivalent clips on a number of accounts is probably going efficient, however slightly selection doesn’t harm both. Right here is an instance.
- Major account. Named after the enterprise, this account publishes the entire clips and should have its deal with (identify) proven on the clips.
- “Clips” account. This one has a deal with comparable to “FeeBrothersClips.” It republishes nearly the whole lot from the first account.
- “Followers” account. This one additionally republishes practically the whole lot from the first account.
- “Better of” account. Named with “finest” or “bestof” within the deal with, it publishes top-performing and high-priority clips.
- “Errors” account. This account shares clips that includes bloopers or behind-the-scenes motion from the first present. These clips could also be distinctive, sharing the message and implied product promotion.
Observe the same sample to create a large base of small accounts.
Entrepreneurs ought to monitor short-form views throughout all accounts. Follower depend, the secondary KPI, is measured just for the first account.
For finest wide-based outcomes:
- Use the correct format. Even when your major movies are in an ordinary horizontal format, make vertical clips for TikTok, Instagram Reels, YouTube Shorts, Snapchat, and X movies.
- Have a transparent hook to seize consideration. This may be a picture, the video clip’s title, or a thumbnail.
- Hold it quick. Seasoned entrepreneurs usually suggest 11-to-17 seconds for TikTok, about 10 seconds for Instagram Reels, and as much as a minute for YouTube Shorts, X, and Snapchat.
- Publish constantly. Quick-form video platforms usually have a goal cadence. WordStream, an company, recommends publishing one to 4 occasions every day for every TikTok account.
- Present merchandise in use. Keep in mind the hypothetical Payment Brothers instance. A protracted-form cocktail recipe reveals the corporate’s bitters in use. Do the identical whether or not you promote garments or energy instruments.
- Use humor. A brief-form video is usually finest when it’s humorous and informative. Don’t be afraid to make viewers chortle.
This wide-base video clip technique is supposed to supply comparatively extra short-form video views than a enterprise can generate from a single account. It seems to work finest on TikTok, though it’s value testing on any social media community.