Multi-tenant analytics refers to an analytics platform constructed on a multi-tenant structure. It differs from different analytics options as a result of it delivers dashboards and reporting capabilities to a number of finish customers (also called tenants).
Multi-tenant analytics is utilized by all kinds of firms to scale their analytics or reporting amongst a number of tenants to align data-driven selections. Not like extra conventional analytics options, the scaling course of is managed in a ruled, environment friendly, and agile method.
Tenants might be:
- Customers and consumer teams outdoors your organization who’re associated to what you are promoting (e.g., resellers, brokers, franchise models, and so on.)
- Prospects (e.g., subscribers or shopper firms)
- Customers inside your organization (e.g., departments, international enterprise models, or single customers with particular wants)
On this article, we’ll stroll you thru the fundamentals of multi-tenant analytics, clarify the way it differs from single-tenant analytics, and talk about a number of the advantages.
How Does Multi-tenant Analytics Work?
A number of tenants entry the identical devoted analytics atmosphere (also called a workspace), the place they’ve assigned rights to handle, analyze, and visualize their knowledge. The workspace incorporates customers and their permissions, knowledge sources, logical and bodily knowledge fashions, metrics, visualizations, dashboards, and extra.
Organizing workspaces right into a workspace hierarchy is one technique to obtain a multi-tenant atmosphere. This tree-like construction of separate analytics environments incorporates a sequence of parent-child relationships.
There are two kinds of workspace within the workspace hierarchy:
- The father or mother workspace serves as a template for the kid workspaces, functioning as a central level for managing all of the associated workspaces. It incorporates a knowledge mannequin, all the metrics, and dashboards that may be shared with the related youngster workspaces. No finish customers obtain entry to this grasp workspace.
- The youngster workspace is the place finish customers, prospects, or shoppers work with their dashboards. It consists of the info mannequin, core metrics, and dashboards inherited from the grasp workspace. Every youngster workspace additionally incorporates knowledge particular to the tenant. Finish customers can create their very own metrics (on prime of these offered by the grasp workspace) and dashboards – with out affecting the grasp workspace or different youngster workspaces.
Multi-tenant structure lets you routinely push updates from the father or mother workspace to any of its youngster workspaces. You possibly can simply reuse workspaces, create copies, and even make new workspaces and modify them to accommodate the wants of various groups, enterprise companions, prospects, or shoppers.
The workspace construction within the diagram under is particularly widespread when delivering analytics to B2B prospects or finish customers outdoors your group (e.g., enterprise companions).
To simply scale and handle various analytics use circumstances (e.g., departments that want essentially totally different metrics from each other), you too can arrange workspaces into segments. Every section has one father or mother workspace with one knowledge mannequin and one or many youngster workspaces.
One other essential facet of a workspace is knowledge. Displaying which knowledge belongs to which youngster workspace is achieved by way of knowledge filters. These let you restrict the info out there: by setting a knowledge filter, the info visibility might be outlined for every youngster workspace.
A very good instance of that is firms with a number of branches around the globe, the place every department operates as a separate enterprise unit with unbiased methods. There could also be branches within the US, France, and Japan, the place every department wants to trace its personal enterprise efficiency individually. To perform this, separate workspaces are created for every department, and the info is filtered primarily based on their places.
Knowledge in every workspace is totally remoted from workspaces that belong to different tenants, guaranteeing knowledge safety and privateness. Tenants from one workspace can not entry knowledge and dashboards from one other workspace until they’re given permission to take action. Though finish customers can solely view related metrics and dashboards, you may permit them to create their very own personalized dashboards and carry out their very own knowledge and perception exploration.
What Is Safety in Multi-tenant Analytics?
Safety is essential in a multi-tenant analytics answer as a number of tenants are accessing totally different workspaces. Measures should be put in place to make sure the safety and privateness of every tenant’s knowledge and sources inside the workspace.
In multi-tenant analytics, the safety of your tenants is established by managing customers and consumer teams. You possibly can make sure that every consumer or consumer group solely has entry to the info and sources related to them by assigning devoted credentials. This ensures that solely authenticated and licensed customers can entry their designated workspace. The subsequent step is managing permissions for the created customers/consumer teams. Permissions might be set for objects resembling knowledge sources, workspaces, and dashboards. There are particular permission sorts to carry out actions resembling handle, view, and analyze.
To reveal how this would possibly work in follow, let’s create a hypothetical gross sales workspace. This workspace is proscribed to a single consumer group with entry to view dashboards. A separate workspace is then created particularly for the advertising and marketing division. There are two kinds of workers/customers within the advertising and marketing crew:
- Advertising and marketing Analyze Consumer Group: These customers have particular entry to the complete workspace with permission to “analyze.” They will carry out in-depth analyses and use superior options for advertising and marketing knowledge.
- Advertising and marketing View Consumer Group: These customers have entry to the complete workspace with permission to “view.” They will solely view the advertising and marketing knowledge and can’t create metrics or modify the dashboards.
This skill to assign permissions signifies that workers might be categorized primarily based on their roles and tasks, enabling efficient division and administration of duties.
Multi-Tenant Analytics Resolution Use Instances
To raised serve their prospects, suppliers provide multi-tenant environments constructed on a multi-tenant structure inside a single analytics platform. The platform can serve a number of finish customers, resembling:
- Corporations with a number of branches and stakeholders from totally different places, permitting for centralized knowledge administration and entry to shared sources.
- Knowledge-driven firms that require centralized knowledge storage related to their analytics platform, distributed to particular person customers and teams.
- Corporations that function within the B2B market: enabling them to supply a personalized model of their pre-purchase answer from different distributors for every buyer.
A multi-tenant analytics atmosphere can be utilized in all industries, however it’s particularly acceptable for e-commerce, monetary providers, insurance coverage, software program firms, manufacturing, and healthcare.
The Pricing Mannequin for a Multi-Tenant Resolution
Analytics suppliers often provide their prospects one of many following three pricing choices:
- Per-user pricing: Paying for every consumer individually might be useful in conditions the place there are a secure variety of finish customers.
- Per-query pricing: Permits firms to have limitless customers or prospects who can entry their service or product. However they’re restricted by the variety of particular person queries or requests they’ll course of inside a particular time frame.
- Per-workspace pricing: You pay for every separate analytics atmosphere (i.e., workspace), and every atmosphere might be accessed by a number of customers. That is typically one of the best answer for B2B firms that have to ship analytics to prospects however cannot predict their consumer base.
To study extra concerning the totally different pricing choices, take a look at choosing the proper pricing mannequin.
Prepared To Get Began With Multi-tenant Analytics?
GoodData’s cloud-based analytics platform permits a number of prospects to share the identical infrastructure and sources with out compromising knowledge isolation and safety. Begin a free trial or request a demo to achieve first-hand expertise with this multi-tenant atmosphere.